Friday, June 24, 2011

Changing it Up

So a lot of my blogs over the past short while of this thing have been about things that are pretty normal I think. I want to change this just a little bit. In going to Chicago I have the chance to change my personality, and to add a cheerful encounter to the people that I meet. That said, when I was an undergrad, did something called the "Hello experiment" my second semester of my freshman year. I simply said hello to the people that I knew. Not a huge thing at all, but the declaration and acknowledgement of existence made things better, even if for only a few seconds. I felt better, they did, too, and it was good.

These days I've been mildly panicking over trying to get finished with packing to go off to the Windy City, and there has been more stress due to unfortunate controlling tendencies of a particular upstairs neighbor. That said, I want to focus this blog on good stuff. I'm not ignoring bad things, because face it, they happen, and that's life. But dwelling on such doesn't bring happiness to anyone. Yes, there are times when we get stuck on them when things don't make sense and we ask for help that only comes from competent professionals. Or from people who have gifts in the sense of competent professionals and who are kind-hearted and real friends. But even with the bad things comes GOOD!

Despite death, mayhem, and destruction on all sides, there's no reason to stay down forever. I had my five years of mourning. When my grandfather died, I felt like it completed that phase of my life. At that point, I had seven deaths in six years. Probably not as much as for other people, especially where natural disasters have claimed thousands, but for a thinking suburbanite who wasn't used to death before, it completely changed that portion of my life. I became the "adult" and have subsequently had a hard time taking other people's advice sometimes. I have had to look out for myself since 2005. No safety net. Independence is something that I've worked hard for, but I have been learning to listen more. It takes me longer to make decisions since I think of how it will affect me and others. I am more careful by nature, but the care-free attitude that used to be there is gone. All the same, I've learned that happiness does not come from an absence of responsibility but being willing and doing something with it.

So, the blog will try to reflect a less-preachy, more positive aspect of life. I hope that someone out there gets a chance to look over their day and remember that smiling is healthy, and maybe it will make you feel better, too. I used to think that being the serious, semi-negative personality meant that I was an erudite person. Not really. That was a misnomer, and perhaps a mistake. I have since learned that being nice is a lot more important and what you are does radiate and reflect around you. I am stressed about moving, but according to my high school psychology class, death, moving, and severe physical illness are the biggest stressors in life. So, a part of me says "Guess what? It's okay that I'm stressed out!" Another part of me says, "You know what? Despite or in-part because of the stress, I'm doing okay. I function better when there is something to be responsible for than nothing. I do well when I am given a chance to get away from things, but I think that vacations are just changing up scenery. A change from the norm is perhaps good sometimes, but it's not like my whole life changes in that time. Movies are really fictional in that respect.

From my time in the MTC, I had a teacher who asked me to write sweet and sour lists daily. After a while, it was easier to write sweet lists. I think that if late night talk show hosts can do it, I can, too.

The Double-Masters Student Top 10 Sweet/Sour List (not in any particular order. Just a list.)


Sweet/Sour
1. Got to watch the 25th Anniversary of Les Mis with friends on Wednesday
2. Got told off by a friend. May have been accidental or not, but I have learned that swallowing and applying metaphorical Pepto Bismol to such things makes life better for all involved.
3. Upstairs neighbor decided to do her old trick of trying to show the apartment without any advanced warning.
4. Finished a massive bowl of potato salad.
5. Will be going to see the Mid-Season Ender for Dr. Who at a friend's house tonight.
6. BBQ tonight where the potato salad will be consumed.
7. Have decided to work hard to get to bed before 1.
8. Tomorrow is my last temple shift. Double-edged sword, but I am glad that I can do this.
9. Highly possible yard sale next Saturday that will help remove extra items that I don't want/need.
10. Paid auto insurance the other day, and was able to get the sets of double-pointed needles, size 6 needed for current fingerless gloves with mitten flap and Legend of Zelda life-force emblem on left hand. Will see how this goes. Still trying to decide whether to double-stitch or intarsia the thing. Probably duplicate stitch so that I can finish them faster without needing to worry about intarsia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment