Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Here We Go Again

I am looking at this move as bedrooms and "Rounds." Round One is basically going through everything. Packing, choosing whether to keep or remove, sorting my brains out in addition to removing stuff, and I feel a little bit proud that there are 13-15 boxes for the yard sale and 9 boxes of stuff to move. Considering that the boxes for the yard sale are really stuffed and the boxes for the move are not packed too heavily, I am really glad.

Current count is 7/9 rooms gone through, and I have 3 boxes of kitchen stuff so far. Having just tackled the all-purpose utili-drawer of gadgets, and having gone through the knives and spoons and such, and tupperware, or the wanna-be tupperware, I am really glad how it's going. There were 5 sets of measuring spoons in there, for instance. Goodness! I think that most of the people who have left never remembered about a lot of things that they were leaving behind, or else I just ended up with the dump-ed off ends. Although all of the other bedrooms are cleaned out, I am cleaning out the rest of the apartment minus the landlord's stuff that is randomly down here also. So that means that for the kitchen, it's been a "full sweep." I even organized my rolling Rubbermaid spice drawers today. I had so many spices that the friend who was here helping me organize it all left with a half-box of them, and I got down to no duplicates (excepting for almond oil and things that I KNOW that I would use) and I am out of onion powder. Never thought that would happen.

But yeah, SD and NK stopped by and while SD helped get through the first four or five rooms, NK helped me tackle the kitchen and should be coming by tomorrow morning. Will probably tackle the bathroom then, and (maybe) start on the bedroom. I expect the bedroom to be the absolute hardest. If everything else is done, then the whole project may not seem quite so over-whelming. As it is, NK helped me pare down the items by looking at a few at a time, and we went through them quickly.

Round 2 is what gets packed right before I leave, and the last details of cleaning and cleaning and...cleaning. I want to do a hard-core deep clean of this place so that the upstairs neighbor will be appeased. She's not menacing or whatnot, but I think that I will be leaving this place better than I found it if I have my druthers about me.

After finishing up Round 1 of the kitchen, NK and I had glorious salads- I figured out a way of making a really good raspberry balsamic vinaigrette from raspberry preserves (jam?), balsamic vinegar and some olive oil with kosher salt. Drizzled on top of a fabulous green leaf lettuce, red cabbage, red tomato, red bell pepper, carrot, sliced almond, celery, and chow mien noodle salad, along with some sort of tropical red punch thing, it totally hit the spot. I'm a fan of huge salads. They're veggies for the most part with either the addition or nuts or beans for the protein component usually occupied by meat, and SOOOOOOO good! Mm! You don't "drop" within an hour like with a fast food burger, and they don't tire you out afterwards. No siesta needed, yummy, and probably glycemically good for you, too. No sharp spikes in blood sugar or protein metabolism. I'm not diabetic, but both grandpas were, so I have to be careful anyway.

I can't help feeling accomplished today. Not done by any means, but thoroughly accomplished. Have tagged a ton of stuff, have sorted a whole lot, and the rest (should) be able to get done between tomorrow and Thursday, ready for getting over to the yard sale location for Friday. Also glad that I have clean clothes, that I was able to watch Auntie Mame with NK after finishing the kitchen, and that this move isn't killing me (knock on wood or other natural, porous surfaces.)

Somehow I thought that moving would be so sad. The saddest thing so far was opening up the one box that had been shut tight that held my family's documents and not remembering what was in there. It's my report cards, kid pictures, items from my father's life, pictures of my sister in school, things like that. There are even pictures from when my parents were at the regional Institute conference where they met. That made me rather teary. I'm the genealogist, and I'm the one that has to keep things up. Maybe other people do care about my existence, but normally a Mom or another previous relative would keep all of this stuff. My grandparents are all dead and my Mom as well. My father is not sentimental concerning documentation (pictures, other things like that). My sister cares but mainly if it's in front of her. Otherwise, not. It's me that has to prove my own existence and the family legacy. I'm the one that has to do it. No one else will in the end.

I'm the one that people ask if they want to know about the family history, when they do, and that's rare. It's something that most people I know don't care about at all, or they don't like it, or they think that someone else is doing it. Although incredibly frustrating, I've taken the stance that not everyone can do it all at once or by themselves, and when it's the right time for things to help as much as people are willing to learn. If they're not willing, NEVER to force it upon anyone. Help the most that you can, but not to overwhelm people if it's possible.

So that was the saddest thing, knowing that there isn't anyone else to care about it all. However, I do care and I hope that that counts for something. So, the front room, pantry, L's room, laundry room, R's room, and T's rooms are done. Kitchen is about as done as it can get with a week to go before pack-up, but three days before the Great and Terrible Yard Sale.

However, good thing was that as I advertised on FB, craigslist, and KSL, I got the first bite of someone who is interested in buying the books and CDs. I just can't call her back until I get them sorted out. That would be in-bedroom stuff.

Also got a visit from EC, and her daughter, B. It's been a long time since I've seen her, and she seems happy to be a Mom. Good for her. So far the move has been good. Nearly enjoyable, and although I'm not ready to take on the world, it's getting a whole lot easier right now. I hope that I can make it to Friday, and then somehow figure out Wed.

Best for a late night,
The Genealogy Doctor

PS. Lately, my jokes seem to all concern alcohol. Although I've never had the stuff, I think that I need to curb it so it's not going through my head in influential matters.

Also, I had a dream last night where I could remember what I'd already lived, and then after the move in Chicago, but I couldn't remember what actually happened in the move. My memory was literally black-blank about it. Odd. Also other thoughts of a personal nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment